Monday, November 17, 2014

Service, Visitor Center tour and lots of work

Elder Bagley, Madore, and McKinney eating a member dinner outside on the steps because there isn't a man home. ..the rules are the rules. 
Service at a local Christian church.  It's so fun there.  They even let us take some food home.  


Hi Mom!

So, this week has been nuts. I hope I can write it all down.

I had my first District Meeting.  It went great.  I trained on the District on faith and goal setting.  I challenged them to a new standard for new investigators this week and we hit the number plus one.  Faith is power.  I love our District.

My new District


We took our investigator to the Visitor’s Center. It was spiritual and very impressive. She felt the spirit multiple times testifying of Christ. It was just perfect. She'll be baptized by the end of the month.
Temple trip with Guadencia and her family

The Visitor Center Hermanas were so great and we had a great tour

The blonde woman is Columba, Guadencia's sister.  The one that came from mexico with the sole purpose of bring Guadencia the gospel.




We went to an amazing Mexican restaurant.  It was SO good.  I love spicy food now and I can't eat unless I have a tortilla in my hand.  Honestly, I just love the Latino culture so much.  I also ordered a free recipe book over the phone.  So we will be trying out some sweet new dishes around the house.
Crazy good Mexican restaurant with handmade tortillas.

They just have a little abuelita in the back loosing her mind making thousands of tortillas.  Seriously she was just cranking them out.


An Elder I who came out with went home this week.  He had been fighting some hard medical problems for a while and is now getting the attention he needs.  We had to say goodbye to him and it was bittersweet.  I really consider him a grand friend and we are all going to miss him.  His companion Elder Madore (mah-door) is now joining Elder McKinney and me in a trio.  The two areas will be combined and the work will move on.

Being in a trio has been hard.  This first week we have been managing the two areas and trying to get things under control with Elder Madore moving in and getting settled.  I feel like I am just on one big exchange but that needs to change.  We are here and this is us now ha-ha.  Change happens so often around here it’s hard to be affected by anything because you can wait a couple days and it will all be completely different!  Like the other night I was in the house of a young couple, both my age, with 3 kids and a load of trials.  We were all kneeling on the floor with roaches running around and the neighbor blasting Tupac.  But in it all I felt at home.  I just felt in my place.  My home now isn't just my apartment but it's this whole valley.  Anyplace that will accept me and have me is my home.  It meant a lot when the Lord taught about having no place to rest his head.  That's us in a sense.  I don't know it's a strange thing to try and explain.

I am so pumped about being in a trio because we all love and know each other so well. We just have our work cut out for us.  Right now we have about 7 people preparing for baptism and twice as much area to cover on bike.  We can do it, we just have to be focused and on point with everything.

There is evil all around this valley.  It is so shocking how much filth and sin there really is.  I love my mission and I love the people but there are times when you can really see and understand the dire need for the gospel in people’s lives.  Drugs, gangs, sex, crime, violence are just par for the course.  It's very rare you find family units that aren't in some way affected by one of those things.  The work is needed, oh so needed. Sometimes it's weird how much confidence I have in actually helping these people.  It just shows me how much this is not on me.  It's not my message or my divine help.  I am just the messenger.  Delivering the message, that part is on me.

SO our investigators are so well. I will give you some of their profiles:

Mom and 2 daughters working toward baptism.  They are struggling to keep commitments but have the greatest desire.  They have had a rocky, rocky path and the mom become a mom at such a young age.  That is always hard but they are well.

An 18 year old Salvadorian that is tearing through the book of Mormon but just isn't sure about getting baptized and changing her Catholic heritage.  I have all the confidence that if she keeps reading she'll find her answer.  It could be hard but nothing is more sure than a witness from the Holy Ghost.

Gaudencia!  She is just wonderful.  Her member sister is such a help in teaching and fellow-shipping.  Nothing is going to stop her.  She is on fire.

A young couple who have a kid together but aren't married.  The dad has been clean from a meth addiction for 20 days now and they are turning their lives completely around.  He is 19 years old and want to join the Navy and marry his girlfriend.  After walking home from church he read 19 chapters of Mosiah.  Nothing is better than walking into your investigators home and having them answer the door with a "hand-me-down quad" cracked open in their hands.  I love them.

So, I don't have too much more time but I want to end with this miracle we saw the other night.  We had contacted these two 18 year old girls on the street and one of them said her mom might be interested in our message.  So we gave her our card and went on our way.  We didn't think much of it.  That night I said to my companions "How great would it be if that girl texted us back tonight?"  Low and behold the phone buzzes and it's her.  Sadly, she said she is interested, she's Catholic and honestly just gave us the shaft about the whole thing.  We were pretty bummed but then after church she texted us again and said she needed someone to talk to.  We were a little shocked and cautious but set up to meet her in a nearby park.  So long story, a little less long, we just sat and talked.  She pour out her heart about her family's history with mental illness.  How depression has taken hold of her life and she just doesn't know what to do any more.  We listen and shared stories and testimony until the time felt right to testify of the Book of Mormon.  Throughout the meeting she was having a hard time explaining her feelings and speaking her mind clearly but after I shared a verse in Alma and we all testified of the truthfulness of the book she just said, "I feel good. I feel like you are answering the question I didn't know I had."  I couldn't stop smiling.  She went on to say, "I always have felt like the Catholic Church was missing something and I think this is it."  (pointing to the book of Mormon)

Gosh, it was the greatest moment I've had in a while.  It was so natural and fluid.  That's how the gospel should be shared.  I shouldn't have to chase you down the street and shove the restoration down your throat.  I shouldn't have to be scary and threatening as I knock on your door.  You should feel like you are talking with Christ when you speak to me.  You should forget about the world and have peace for just a moment.  You should feel the spirit and have questions flood into your heart, not doubts without answers, but questions that just feel pure and are designed to be answered.  Gosh, Mom it was textbook.  Just a classic example of what missionary work can be.  In a park, with a stranger, sharing our hearts, and rejoicing in the doctrine of Christ. I'll never forget it.

Firm and faithful

Elder Bagley
Elder McKinney chopping up something tasty.


I am becoming a great chef.

No comments:

Post a Comment