Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Better later then never

Monday was Veteran's Day and after checking my email all day it finally hit me that libraries are closed on Veteran day.  What is up with that?  Don't Veteran's go to libraries?  Anyway I woke up to a wonderful surprise this morning...an email.  I guess because of the holiday they let them write on the next day.  He sounds good and so grown up.  I am ever amazed at how much he is growing.  He went through a physical grown spurt when he was 15 were he grew 6 inches in a year.  He was always tired and he said his body hurt.  Well, he is definitely going through a spiritual growth spurt now.  I can hear the pain and discomfort in his words but I can also hear the joy.  He is amazing!
Mother,
Sorry about not responding yesterday. It was a holiday so the library was closed.
Things here just keep...moving.  Everyday I struggle to find time to just slow down and enjoy the amazing work that is going on all around me.  The work that I am a part of.  It's crazy to think how grand and powerful what we are doing as missionaries really is.

I am sorry about how spacey and scattered these emails always are.  My brain is so use to flying by that when I have time to slow down and compose my thoughts, it often comes out forgetful.

The weather here is fine.  Nothing unbearable.  It gets a little cold at night but I finally got around to buying a blanket so I don't have to bundle up at night.  Also as you know I got a new bike that has really been a blessing in my life.  Things with the camera are still at a standstill.  I don't have time on the means to get to a store that sells good cameras. I may just need you to buy one for me and just send it.  Use my card or whatever and then I'll just get it when it gets here.  I'd love to do that camera challenge.  I feel bad you can't see some of what's going on.  

Side-note...I had my first dream in Spanish. It was nuts.


I can't tell you all about what happens with my investigators because honestly its so much.  There are lessons, and visits and phone calls, and commitments and miracles and a whole list of divine things.  But I do want to tell you that I am keeping a very detailed journal (two actually) of everything that is happening.  These experiences will never escape me, I won't let them.

One story I do have though, about one of my investigators, her name is Olga.  She is a young mother and her family is just kind of getting use to life.  Getting use to being a family and searching for some direction.  Elder Speth and I had been trying and trying to get a cita con ellos but it is hard because they both work.  After finally praying and praying we were rewarded with a visit.

We taught the first lesson which contains the story of Joesph smith and the restoration. As we taught I gave the parts I had practiced and timidly tired to explain and teach in the best Spanish I could.  Olga was trying her best to be present and attentive but Miguel (her husband) was often getting distracted.  I noticed this and prayed that the Lord would help me as a teacher portray the power I had in my heart that wasn't coming from my mouth.

 As the lesson progressed we came to the story of the First Vision. I started to teach and testify of the truthfulness of this event hoping that Olga or Miguel would pick something out of what I was saying.  I then came to the actual describing of what Joesph saw and then what happened next was truly a miracle.  Word for word I recited the entire First Vision.  Both Olga and Miguel couldn't take their eyes off me.  I knew that what they were feeling was the same sensation I was feeling.  The spirit truly was present in that lesson and really did allow me to become the teacher that God wanted me to be.

Things out in the field are...uncomfortable.  You are constantly being pushed pass your limit and things are just, different.  I am still learning a lot and I am coming to the realization that the phrase "Con tiempo" will never cease to be relevant. The language will come with time.  The comp unity will come with time.  The baptisms will come with time.  Con tiempo, cada dia.

I love you Mom.  Saying goodbye to you at the airport is probably the closest I will ever get to remembering what it was like in the pre-earth life.  Neither of us knowing what laid ahead. Pain, disappointment, mistakes, guilt,happiness, growth, faith, love all would be part of the experience.  But one thing we knew then and we know now is that everything will be ok.  Everything will be for our good and for our eternal growth.  Thanks for letting me be your son.

Con amor
Elder Bagley 

Brett received this email too.  It gives a glimpse into Mitchell's everyday life.  If he would have study as hard in high school as he is now he would have gotten full ride scholarships anywhere he wanted to go.  Oh well, I am glad he knows when hard work and study really counts.

 

Como esta Padre?
Sorry, I never talk much about my situational circumstances.  Things like my house and the weather just take a backseat to what I really think about.  But I would love to let you know about my life!

I first start the day at 6:30 every morning. I exercise, eat breakfast and shower until 8:00.  At which point I have personal study.  I study Predicad Mi Evangelio and topics for my investigators.  Its a time of personal revelation and growth.  Next at 9:00 is companion study. Elder Speth and I read the white bible and practice our lessons we have for the day.  Doing role plays and refine what we want to teach.  Next at 10:00 is an hour of Idioma study, where I work on my Spanish.  We usually eat tortillas covered in hot sause till our tongues turn numb.  This really is painful but helps with the pronunciation of some of the words.  Then we have lunch for an hour and leave the house at about 1:00.

Then we are in the street heading to appointments and what not...we talk with every person we see.  Giving out tarjetas and folletos.  Sometimes even el libro de mormon, if the spirit prompts us.  During this time of the day it is usually the meat of missionary work where we have our lessons and visits of various sorts. There is a lot of "fall through" but a lot of miracles too.  Also a lot of yappy dogs and gates.   Everyone here has a gate. Its the worst. We do this until about 5:00 at which point we have dinner back at home. We'll make mac and cheese or whatever and then head out again to keep working until 9 o clock.  Sometimes we will have dinner at the Licos, usually twice a week and that is awesome.  Hermano Lico is our ward mission leader, his mom is from Salvador and is a great cook.  I love the food there.

But, anyways we come home and plan for the next day.  This usually takes 30 minutes and then we get ready for bed.  Write in our journals, clean the house, read the Liahona. Stuff like that.  Night time is the only real time I have to myself.  The only time to relax and savor what happened in the day.  I love it.  Then its bed by 10:30, rinse and repeat.

Our house is kind of a connected guest house.  A member lives in the other half.  We have a kitchen with a microwave, stove and fridge. No dishwasher or oven. Also it comes complete with a army of ants.  We have a bathroom and two other rooms.  One is the bedroom and the other is the study.  Its not big or nice by any means but its home. Can't complain.

One funny feature of the house though, (you can choose whether to tell mom this or not) every other morning about 8 or 9 these two high school kids do drugs right outside our study window.  The Sun Valley High School is 3 houses down the street so they come from there and light up.  Its really funny because we have a big picture of Jesus tapped to the window. Hopefully one day they will see it and change their ways.  One of these days Elder Speth and I are just gonna pretend like they aren't there and go read are scriptures on the porch.  The hood around here is pretty hoodish.  Not a lot of nice houses or nice people but it isn't dangerous or anything.  A lot of homeless people and the occasional alien abduction victim.  All is well though...todos bien.

I have a missionary debt card that is funded with 140 dollars a month for food and supplies.  I use this at the store when I need something.  The rest of your 400 a month goes to rent and other things.  Our rent is about 1200 a month and so somewhere in the mix of tithing and church funds it all gets paid.  Sometimes I need things that I can't afford to budget with the mission card so I will use my personal debt card...like office supplies or my new blanket.  Don't worry though, the church is really on top of money issues.

Love you Dad.  I think about you and the girls all the time.  I can't wait to get home and share all the amazing things I am seeing out here.  Thanks for your constant example even when you didn't know I was watching.  Keep being the hero I always saw you as.  Le quiero.

Con amor
Elder Bagley

1 comment:

  1. Shauna, Thank you for sharing. I keep all of you in my prayers and thoughts.
    Love you, Auntie Linda

    ReplyDelete