Monday, November 25, 2013

Stolen bike seats, and lights

We sent a November survival package to Mitch.  It didn't contain a turkey dinner but it did have a few things to get him through.  Including the sweaters he didn't think he would need.  I will have to take pictures next time.  I am getting pretty good at cramming everything into those flat rate mail boxes.  That is one thing I am thankful for...the US postal service.  In my last email to Mitch I shared an experience I had trying to share the gospel.  I felt very inadequate.  And amazed that he is doing it 24-7.  I also asked him a lot of questions about an up-coming lesson I am teaching in Young Woman.

Mother
I am getting close to ending my 1st full transfer in the mission field.  Where has the time gone?  Everyday passes in a moment and I can't help but understand what returning missionaries mean when they say "it flew by".  I already feel that way.

I had such a crazy week with some crazy stories.  For example, we lock our bikes the best we can but low and behold our seats and lights got stolen today.  Actually in the last 20 minutes ha ha. California is crazy.  I wonder what they plan to do with my seat?  But anyways that sets the stage up nicely for the rest of the email :)

It has actually been getting really cold out here.  At night it is close to 45 degrees.  I thought it was suppose to be sunny and hot?  Also the lyric that states it never rains in Southern Cali is a lie.  It rained.  Not a lot but I am counting it.  Elder Speth says if you knock doors in the rain the hotter your wife will be.  I'm not buying it but here's hoping.

I got your package this morning!  I loved it so much.  The scriptures were awesome and I could really see the work you put into it.  Thank you so much!  How grateful I am to have a Mom like you.  I love the framed quote the most.  That was so thoughtful and personal I put it on my desk and it looks great.

I loved reading about your missionary experiences!  How awesome it is that God trusts you enough to place situations in your life where you can share the gospel.  I know you might have felt doubtful or overcritical but God gave you that opportunity because he knew something you and only you could say.  Mom missionary work is hard.  Our testimonies are tested everyday and it is easy to give into doubt.  But don't worry about what you say or know.  God loves you.  He will present the opportunities to make it possible for others to hear what they needs to hear.  This week study the atonement and prayerfully search for answers. The Atonement contains deep and powerful doctrine but simple put, it is a demonstration of Christ's love through his sacrifice so we can overcome sin and death. Because Christ was perfect and emulated the will of the father he gained power over sin and death and paid the price for all of our imperfections.  Both parts of the atonement, the garden and cross, are part of the same sacrifice. 

I am so proud of you Mom for trying to share the gospel. Don't give up and always remember people have agency. They might not listen or agree but they can't forget our message if we share it with love. You're amazing.

This week in church I wrote a list of things I was grateful for.  I was able to see just how much God has blessed me even in times when I feel I have been forgotten by him.  At first it was hard to come up with things to write down but as I started to I recognized more and more how much I really have been blessed. Things like Family, Prophets and Scriptures were first on the list.  But then items like Sunsets, Covenants, and Temples began to come to mind.  All are blessings that I will have forever, that I can look towards in times of weakness.  What a great time of year this is.  Its a bummer I can't be home to share it with you but I still feel ever so grateful.

Standing as a witness definitely means being able to share and speak of the gospel when the time comes but more importantly it is about being an example and having your own personal conversion.  As members of the church what are we witnesses of?  It is scriptures, doctrine and covenants.  Yes.  Completely yes.  But the thing we can all personally witness comes from our own personal conversion. 
Also things with investigators are slow.  Juventino came to church though and is on track to be baptized on the 8th of December.  Hopefully we can make some more progress this week.

I love and miss you everyday. I was sent a scripture last week that really sunk into my heart.  Philipeans 1:3.  Please read it and know how true it is for me.  I can't tell you how much your support and the support of my friends means.  I can feel your prays every day.

Con amor
Elder Bagley

1 comment:

  1. Shauna, Thank you for sharing, I keep you all in my prayers daily.
    Love you, Lots of warm hugs Auntie Linda

    ReplyDelete