Monday, February 3, 2014

Fasting, Praying and Studying = Miracles



Hello Mother :)

Wow, it’s so refreshing to sit down and get the chance to read your emails. They are always so great. I am happy we get to email the way we do.

Well, things here are just chugging right along. A lot of fasting, praying and studying which really means a lot of miracles! We were blessed to find 8 new investigators this week; the highest weekly record for me so far in my mission. I feel really blessed that the Lord trusts me with his children in this way. I am happy about the opportunities we will soon have to teach and invite these people to come unto Christ. 8 is just a number but it has power when you think that could be 8 new missionaries, 8 bishops, 8 primary teachers, 8 worthy temple attending members. It truly is exciting. You never know what the Lord has in store.

Whatever the Lord has in store it is good. Oh it is so good. I could never imagine doing the things I am doing right now in this moment on my mission. For one I am living responsibly on my own away from home and friends. I can speak Spanish and understand those around me (I taught Elders quorum yesterday. How crazy!). I am receiving revelation that is so personal and so precious every single day. Not a day goes by that I don't receive more "light and knowledge". Whatever we go though it will be good, it might not be good now, but it will be.

Elder Holland says blessings don't always come quickly or in the way we imagine them but for faithful members of the church, they come. I can testify that is true and that the Lord wants to bless us every day. Oh it's great to be a missionary.

I have had a lot of opportunities to give priesthood blessings out in the field. Just yesterday I confirmed a recent convert to the office of a priest and gave him the Aaronic priesthood. It is such a blessing to hold this never ending power to bless. Truly that’s all it is, God’s power given to man to bless.

I cut my hair again. Not as short but it is still pretty bad. I basically gave myself steps on the side of my head. I didn’t even mean to. Hopefully president doesn’t notice...I am getting better though. I'll come home and give Paula a run for her money :)


We fasted twice this week. Once for a special blessing on our ward mission leader's father and the other time to double baptisms in the mission and stop the drought in California. The first was just Elder Spears and I but the second was a mission wide fast. We are so excited to double our baptisms. With the new investigators we are finding it is only a matter of time until someone wants to get wet :)

Fasting as a missionary is hard. Oh it is so hard. Elder Spears is bigger and stronger than me and so his body really can handle the 24 hours but for me it is a huge sacrifice. But I am grateful I get to give up food and water, endure the pain and show God that these things I fast for mean more to me than the food and the water. It is a hard but a beautiful thing. As yestderday's fast was ending it started to rain outside, first time in a while that California has gotten rain...fasting works.

We recieved a phone call from the Los Angeles Temple Visitor Center.  It was quite a shock.  Mitch had asked the sister missionaries to call us and get a number for a referral.
 
Sorry, I didn't give you a heads up about the visiting center. The sister missionaries taught us and we got to go around and see a bunch of beautiful videos. It was so spiritual to just be taught and to not be the one teaching. The whole time I was just thinking about Samantha and how much regret I have for not sharing the gospel with her more fully. So I gave them the referral and your number and they said they would figure it out. They can call anywhere in the world and send missionaries everywhere it is actually really cool. I knew you might not know a lot of her information but I now know that the Lord wants her to have an opportunity to hear this message and so when I get home that’s what I'll do. I actually can't remember what any of the street names are from home so I'm not much help. Don't give it too much stress. But do look for other opportunities to share the gospel.

I asked Mitch for an update about his other missionary friends.
 
In response to your question I only keep in contact with Noah weekly. He is doing great and is such an amazing missionary. Every email he sends is just packed with testimony and growth. I send a group message every now and then to the other missionaries I know...Kevin, Sam, Brady, Tyler, Tyler, but it is hard to find time for them and I am sure it is the same with them. But, we send pictures and everyone is doing great. I hope Amy gets better. She always took care of everyone back home. I hope someone can return the favor to her now.

I still get headaches now and then but it’s no bother. I try to stay on top of what I need to do to not get them. Honestly it’s the least of my worries.

Well, everything here is just great, just so great!  I can speak Spanish, I can pray, I have a great companion, I have a testimony, and I have made temple covenants. I have so much. I am so excited to be a Latter-day saint for the rest of my life. Nothing would give me more joy. I love you Mom. I love everything about you, past and present. Thanks.

Elder Bagley
140,000 schoval unti hotsause...not cool. But yummy!

Fancy dinner!

My fridge and my "fridge" of a companion

No comments:

Post a Comment