Monday, April 28, 2014

Service project...cleaning the LA river



Buen Dia Madre,

Gosh, you are just wonderful!  Thanks for always being such a strong foundation.  It helps a lot being able to read and enjoy your encouraging words.

Great job trying to memorize the living Christ!  That sounds like an awesome endeavor.  Just like Nephi we can always strengthen our testimonies from the testimonies of those "from the dust."  Sounds kind of cryptic but what is meant is that the prophets are here to lead us and guide us. Their testimonies are meant to give us strength and inspire us. Keep it up!

I am going to try and make our Mother’s Day conversation a Skype! I have to talk to the members but I bet it will probably end up that way. I am so pumped!  Also another thing I am looking forward to is Elder Oaks is coming to speak to our stake next Sunday and we are doing a missionary choir. I can't wait to hear what he has to tell us.  Stay tune for that, it's gonna be big!

Things here have been different then I have ever imagined they would.  Although I am in a hard situation and have a lot to try and deal with and improve I have already seen the blessings that are coming from this trial.  My prayers have been more focused, powerful and sincere.  I have really seen a difference in my attitude of gratitude.  If I am not grateful there is no chance I am going to make it through the day.  We can always choose to be grateful :)  My capacity for love and patience is starting to swell.  I can truly feel the spirit guiding and controlling me in situations that I might be tempted to be angry or unkind.  It is such a blessing.  The sacrament has also been a great help to me in remembering the covenants that I have made.  I feel sanctified and refreshed after I take it.  I get to take a spiritual bit of Christ with me through the week.

On top of all of that the big thing this week was a service activity that we got to be a part of.  The city of Los Angeles got together and cleaned the LA river.  Side note before we started I didn't even think the river was legit, I straight up thought it was a lie and the "river" was gonna be like a concrete stream.  So anyways the Stake got together and helped out…"Mormon Helping Hand", pennies and everything.  It was really, really fun.  I could almost pretend that I wasn't in the dirty streets of LA anymore.  Being in nature was really relaxing and it was great to serve.  Elder Davis and I didn't know it was over so we were in the bush cleaning for like 45 minutes over time.  But jokes on everyone else we got interviewed by a radio station. You better believe we shared the gospel.  Ha-ha it was great!
 
Elder Davis clean-up

LA River




Being interviewed by the radio station


The mayor is in there somewhere.

I also ran into Elder Spears at the activity and couldn’t help but ask him about the work in his area. Salvadora is getting baptized and this family we found has come to church 3 times and is really grasping the doctrine behind the Restoration.  It was so good to see and speak with him.  He is such a dear friend and nothing makes me happier than seeing the work move on.  I feel like I got a taste of what the afterlife will be like.  I can't imagine it will be much different than me asking Elder Spears if people are progressing still…"Did they make it?" kind of attitude.  This work is eternal.

This transfer has been hard, but I am growing.  I am putting my love for Elder Davis first and I know that the Lord will sustain me in my effort to be obedient.  It’s hard at times but honestly, it is what will make or break this area.  I am trying to leave all of this better than I found it.  Hopefully I am.

Love you Mom, can't wait till Mother's Day.

Elder Bagley

P.S. the granola bar snacks and what not are golden.  I love being able to have a quick healthy snack.
I am sure I've gained wait...or maybe that's wishful thinking but the skinny jeans don't fit anymore.  They are so tight I had to trash them.

I am killing it with banana pancakes!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures for Helping Hands Day. It is a super great service project every year.
    Mitchell has grown so much, so very proud of him and that you for keeping us updated with this blog. Warm hugs and lots of love, Auntie Linda

    ReplyDelete