Sunday, October 20, 2013

Last email from Mexico

We just received this email from Mitch.  I guess they let him contact us one last time before he leaves tomorrow.  All I can say is WOW, he has grown so much.  I am so proud to call him my hijo.
 
The time is here!
 
In 12 hours I will be headed on a bus to the Mexico airport.  My time here at the CCM has finally coming to an end.  Where has the past 6 weeks gone!?  I feel like I have hardly even been gone at all.  I am so grateful for the things I've learned here and the experiences I've had.  I want to share a story with you but first I'll confirm stuff about my flight.  I leave the CCM at 3:00 Monday morning and will arrive in Arizona at about 9:00 in the morning.  Then I won't leave for California until about 11:00.  Sometime between those two flights I will try and call you from a pay phone or something.  I would love to hear your voices and I'll try calling all of the numbers I can remember.  Also I think I am going to get a cheeseburger the second I touch down.  Also if it happens that I don't get a hold of you or can't speak with you don't worry, I still love you all and will talk to you the next opportunity I can.
 
Alright now for my story. In the morning we are taught by Hermano Arevalo. He is a native of Mexico and served his mission in Mexico as well.  He is 23 and one of the most genuine people I have ever met.  We had our last class with him yesterday and I would have never expected it to be the way it was.  After we finished up grammar and Spanish practice, Hermano Arevalo started to bare his testimony with the story of Moroni and Lehi (Captain Moroni and General Lehi in the book of Alma) when they battle with the Lamanites. The Nephites were better armed and had stronger weapons, but after the Lamanites had seen the dire situation they were in, they began to fight like "dragons". The Nephites began to be frightened and wanted to flee.  Seeing their fears Moroni began to remind them of the families, their liberties and their purpose.  Hermano Arevalo reminded us that sometimes we might be afraid, we might want to run.  But we need to always remember our purpose and our families.  He told us when he served his mission his dad thought he was the best missionary in the entire church.  He saw everything that was good and had faith he could do anything.  Hermano Arevalo found strength in this and continued to fight harder and harder each day of his mission.
 
After he finished his lesson (the spirit was already so thick my eyes were watering) he began to go around the room and personally give us praise and advice as we departed. Through teary eyes he expressed his love and admiration for us. That we were "gran gurreros" (great warriors) just like Moroni and Teancum.  When my turn came he looked at me with tears running down his cheeks and a smile on his face and said "Elder Bagley, usted es el capitán, como Moroni" (You are a captain, like Moroni).  He went on to praise my leadership abilities and the potential I have to lead other "warriors".  I couldn't help but remember the words Dad use to say to me before a rec basketball game, during a huddle or on the car ride over, "Mitch, you need to make plays and open options.  As point guard it's your job to make things happen."  At this point my body was on fire but my mind was calm as the spirit brought to remembrance those tender memories I have of Dad. Through teary eyes and a full heart all I could tell Hermano Arevalo was "Gracias, gracias por todo" (thank you, thank you for everything).  If this already wasn't enough of a profession of God's love for me I was asked to give the final closing pray.  Tears bathed my knees and hands as I gave the most heartfelt pray I have ever offered.  The spirit was so strong and my words were no longer my own.  I truly felt like Moroni praying for his troops.
 
I leave tomorrow.  To a place where the people don't know me, don't know my language, and don't know my passion for the gospel.  It will be hard and there will be days when I want to leave.  Days when my doubts and fears fight back like dragons.  But, I am a captain.  I am a leader and a son of God. The work I am doing is divine and this is my time to grab my sword and my testimony and fight.  There are people out there waiting just for me and I can't wait to find them.  I love you so much Mom.  Everything I am is because of the kind of family I was raised in.  You and Dad did alright.  Can't wait to tell you about California!! :)
 
Con Amor
Elder Bagley

No comments:

Post a Comment