Monday, December 30, 2013

Feliz Ano Nuevo!




 Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!
The "Car Elder's" Apartment has a view
Merry Christmas
 It was great seeing and talking to Mitch on Christmas.  He is doing well.  We got to meet his ward mission leader and his family.  They are great people and seem to really be taking care of Mitch.  The tamale Mitch was eating looked amazing.  Brett broke the news and told Mitch that we sold his turtle, Toby.  He seems to be taking it in stride.  To be safe Elder Speth and Mitch ended up staying at the "Car Elders" apartment for Christmas.  What an adventure.
Mitch and Elder Speth with the "Car Elders"
Madre!
I don't think I have ever read as fast as I do when it comes time to open up emails. I just soak them up so fast and love them even more!
Feliz Ano! (sorry I can't type the accent)  Nothing seems better than to start the New Year off then a Skype call from home!  Seriously that was so awesome and so refreshing. I had no feelings of homesickness just gratitude and laughs! Thanks for being so awesome :)

So, first things first, we have returned back to our original apartment and haven't heard or seen anything with concern to danger.   So thankfully we can get back to work!  Our numbers really tanked because of it but, I have no regrets in how we reacted or handled the situation.  Nevertheless Christmas was spent on a couch at the Car Elders pad. I will never forget it :)
I really wanted to get a lot out of this Christmas because of all I have heard from other Elders and even Return Elders about how life changing Christmas in the field can be.  But to be completely honest with you, it was just another day.  No snow, no temple lights, no Christmas books...just missionary work.  I came to a great realization while we were out on the street about 7 o'clock Christmas night. There were no cars, no people and the night was super quite.  It reminded me of the nights back home when it would snow really hard and people would stay inside (but just minus the snow).  I thought about what made Christmas special in the past: family, Christ, gifts, friends.  Then I realized that everything that makes Christmas so great is what we do as missionaries everyday.  We think of Christ always.  We visit with families and try to offer happiness and eternity.  We find friendships in those we serve with...men and women who are in the same boat as we are. We give gifts that don't come in boxes but rather that come from study, hard work and life experiences.  Christmas was perfect this years.  Truly...so, so perfect.
It was great to hear how Steph's farewell went!  I wish I could have seen it but it sounds just as good as I pictured it would be.  Farewell's are a hard thing but seeing all your friends and family means the world.  I don't think I can remember a time when I have felt more supported and loved!  Thanks for being a part of that for Steph.
Dad said you sold my roommate...bittersweet moment right there.  Kind of hit me in the childhood but, Toby will always have my heart...even if she could care less haha.
We had a double baptism week in our district and it was a really great experience.  It was nice to see that missionary work as a whole continues on even if personally it feels otherwise.  We had 0 investigators at church and had to drop 3 investigators throughout the week.  It is a hard thing to drop an investigator but if you see it as clearing a path to the field that IS white and IS ready to harvest it becomes a smaller pill to swallow.
Our district leader, Elder Norman, was hit by a car yesterday on his way to the baptism. He broke his hand and sprained his knee but all is well.  He made a traffic mistake and unfortunately paid the price.  Also this is his first bike in 14 months...bad luck haha. I am grateful for the blessing of safety Elder Speth and I see everyday being on bikes.
I have made some goals to help manage my headaches and hopefully will start seeing some results. I am drinking more water, packing snacks and watching out for the situations that seem to trigger them.  Sorry I haven't mentioned them before.  They really hurt and put a huge damper on my work but honestly I know I can figure a way to get rid of them.  I'll let you know how it goes!
I am so hopeful and excited to face this new year.  2014 will be a year of growth and faith!  Our President has challenged us to make a goal for this next year (and for the rest of our mission).  And that is to picture the kind of missionary you want to be when you return home.  What do you want to look like, sound like, and say?  What kind of stories will you have and will they be of regret or success?   Will you be eager to become part of the world you left behind or will you become fully converted to living a life full of the gospel and Christ like attributes?  I am excited, oh so excited for the future.  How could I not be?  I have a Father in Heaven who loves me, truly loves me and loves what I am doing.  I have a family who supports and uplifts me. I have the scriptures and a living prophets to guide me and show me the way to eternal happiness.  Whatever 2014 brings it will be embraced :) Love you Mom.  Can't thank you enough!
Con Amor
Elder Bagley
The best hot chocolate ever!

I love packages...thanks for all the love!
Best companion ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment